What is the max ideal recording distance or time to make a safe upload to publish as a blueline on Google Street View?

I am creating videos to upload to Street View. Is it possible to create a single blue line of a 20km hike shot using 20 videos (i am planning each video covers about 1km)?

This sounds like a good plan.

It is possible to do it in one recording too. Our own @KikoTrekView captured a route of over 9 hours walking, only stopping recording once for a battery swap, and produced a complete blue line (https://www.trekview.org/case-studies/2018/us/yosemite-half-dome/).

However…

I’d recommend against very long recordings for a few reasons:

1. unless you have a very stable internet, with good upload bandwidth, uploading a single large file to Street View might cause issues.
  2. the risk of corruption increases the further you go (e.g. GPS issues). It’s easier to rescue and work on fixes when the files are smaller, than trying to do this with one potentially huge files.

To create a single blue line just make sure you follow Google own instructions here and here:

• Space the photos about five steps apart (3 m / 10 ft) when outdoors.
  • Follow natural paths and walkways so that there is a clear line of sight between the photos.
  • To help us automatically position 360 images in relation to one another, when capturing imagery, try to overlap with some areas you already captured in the collection. This include turns (e.g. a city block) in your collection path.
1 Like

@globetrotter,

The way Google’s publishing works you will always get a tiny gap in the blue line between individual published video clips.

Also recently the actual blue line that is published to the map can deviate from the path you have actually captured.

If there are roads or other paths very close by, quite often the blue line snaps to these nearby features and it can completely spoil your tour.

Google seem to have changed their publishing with this blue line snap issue around this time last year.

I’ve got tours that published with a near perfect blue line captured during 2018 and early 2019. Google it seems have reprocessed everything and many of my tours do not look as good as when I first published them.

As mentioned by David, it’s always good practice to make sure that you overlap where you end one clip and where you start the next section. Not always guaranteed, but it helps with the chance of Google’s autoconnect to work and link the two sections together. It’s worth waiting a few seconds before you start walking after you have started your capture to make sure you get a good GPS lock before you start moving forward. I usually wait around 5 or 6 seconds before I set off.

Always look ahead when approaching deep thick canopy cover or high sided narrow gorges that are likely to effect maintaining or good GPS signal with lock to enough satellites. From my experience if you lose your GPS signal for even a few seconds it corrupts the whole clip and it will not publish at all to Google Maps.

1 Like

HQ | Blog | Spotted a Trekker? | Become a Trekker | Facebook | Instagram