Is it possible to modify the GPS in a 360 video?

I have GPS tracks stitched into some footage that is corrupted (e.g. jumps 10km from track periodically).

I’m wondering if I can create GPS tracks (manually) to pin the footage on. Most of them are on beaches so there is a very clear path to create the GPS paths along.

Happy to do the grunt work for this - I’m just wondering if it is possible?

Probably!

If your videos can be opened with either Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, or some other vid player (i.e. they are not encoded with some proprietary codec, e.g. .insv, .insp) then it is very likely you can do this using 3rd party software.

If your camera is GPS enabled (e.g. GoPro Fusion), and the video is already geotagged, you can edit individual GPS points for each frame in the video that is corrupted using Video Geoeditor:
https://videogeoeditor.com/

If you want to use the GPS log (instead of camera GPS, perhaps for accuracy) or the video has no GPS to begin with (for others reading this) you can also use a GPS log file to geotag your 360 video. In which case, check out Video Geotagger: https://videogeotagger.com/

Note, these are both Windows only. If anyone has any good solutions for Mac, please do share them too.

I’ve run into a snag with this solution. The geotagger allows you to manually create a .gpx GPS track to match your video but only saves this as a separate .gpx geotag file. It does not allow you to integrate this into your video file and save a single .mp4 video file with GPS track. Without that when I try to upload the video to Street View I just get the old corrupted GPS track - there does not seem to be any way to overlay a new GPS track with the info created in geotagger…

If you used something like GoThru StreetBuilder to extract pano images from your video, could you then inject the pano images with the .gpx from geotagger? It’s not pretty but it may work.

I’ve been doing some research on this… blog post impending.

@JonSlayer The geotagger allows you to manually create a .gpx GPS track to match your video but only saves this as a separate .gpx geotag file.

Lot’s of the tools mentioned here are built on an open-source pieces of software, exiftool (a set of command line tools for reading, writing and editing meta information). Which got me thinking, why don’t these bits of software not seem to support adding a GPX track to a video.

Well, looking at a post from one of the authors of exiftool seems to suggest this is currently impossible with exiftool alone: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=9525.0

@chelseabrian If you used something like GoThru StreetBuilder to extract pano images from your video, could you then inject the pano images with the .gpx from geotagger? It’s not pretty but it may work.

Workflow wise, this sounds like what I’d do (disclaimer: I’m regularly wrong). This is actually a really useful feature of Street Builder (the fact it creates a local folder of .jpg frames from your video after processing).

For those that want to get technical, the open-source tool (built into Street Builder), ffmpeg, does this. Example here.

Once the frames from the video are in photo files, you could then use exiftool (or some other software) to add the GPX track to the images.

Finally, ffmpeg can then convert the photos back into a video, if a video is required.

I have a .gpx track created in geotagger and a series of corresponding panos extracted from a video in GoThru that we can try this on…

HQ | Blog | Spotted a Trekker? | Become a Trekker | Facebook | Instagram