Hey! i'm daniel from sunny florida, usa

hello. my name is daniel. i consider myself an outdoorsman, as in i like being outdoors hiking, paddling, birding, orienteering, camping, breathing-in the fresh air, and just chilling out in nature. i also love maps, which kind of goes with the outdoors stuff, but i can sit all day looking at a bunch of nice maps and feel happy. as a way to combine both of those interests, i always carry my gps receiver with me to capture my tracks, then use those to add or improve features on openstreetmap. currently, i’ve been capturing data for the trails in the county that i live in – primarily the local nature preserves.

a few months ago, i ran across an article talking about the latest version of google’s street view backpack. after years of wanting to get access to a streetview backpack, i went ahead and asked the outdoor learning center where i volunteer if i can use them as my excuse…correction – ‘reason’ for applying to borrow the backpack. they said yes – i applied – and…and…crickets. i’m sure my application is amongst the 250 million other apps in google’s inbox. yes, i knew it was a longshot, but a tiny part of me is an optimist, so i sat there waiting a few days expecting a congratulatory email from google, followed by a huge delivery. well, three months later…i decided to make my own.

okay, i’ll try to get through this part quickly. for years now, i’ve seen a variety of not-so-cheap ways to make a street view camera, but with a family, mortgage, car payments, etc, spending big bucks on a diy street view rig was out of the question. then the other day, i got an email from gopro showing their max 360 camera, and i thought “damn, i really do not have $500 usd to spend on that.” still, i couldn’t stop thinking about how i would use the max to capture street view imagery, so i googled ‘diy street view camera gopro’ or something similar…and ended up on the trekview website. the rig i saw there was pretty much what i had imagined making myself – simple, straightforward, affordable.

jump forward to today and i have a fusion 360 camera, a backpack with a pole, and about a few thousand time-lapse photos that i took yesterday evening on my first test run. now i just need to figure out a smooth workflow to get these processed and uploaded. i am struggling at the moment, but should have this figured out soon. expect a lot of questions over the next few weeks/months as i try to get this going.

thanks in advance.

– daniel =^._.^=

1 Like

Welcome on board Daniel!!

Hey Daniel @fieldkat

Amazing! Welcome to the community!

I can’t wait to see the photos. Please do share them when they’re online. We’re always here to help too.

p.s I’m jealous of your location… from an overcast England.

thanks @KikoTrekView for the welcome!

thank you @dgreenwood-trekview for the welcome. please point me to were i can find out how to upload my images to google street view. i have a batch of geotagged stitched jpegs, but now i’m a little stuck on what to do next. :crying_cat_face:

@fieldkat you’re not alone. GSV doesn’t like images very much!

For now I’d use Trailblazer

I’m a few weeks away from shipping a similar product for Map the Paths with some more feature. More on that VERY soon…

@dgreenwood-trekview okay. thanks for the advice. i was looking to see if there was another solution before i tried trailblazer, but i’ll go ahead and check that out. my first experiment uploading images was by using the street view app. it was semi-successful, though not a process i would really want to use. i have been following the thread on the product you are currently working on, and look forward to trying it out. if you are looking for a novice beta tester, i’m your man.

HQ | Blog | Spotted a Trekker? | Become a Trekker | Facebook | Instagram