Google Tour Creator is shutting down

Starting June 30, 2021, the Google Expeditions and Tour Creator will no longer be accessible.

In order to focus on storytelling in Google Earth, we will be shutting down Tour Builder in 2021.

I understand the move to Google Earth, but the bundling of the product into the Google Earth Ecosystem loses some of it’s appeal.

The simplicity of Tour Creator and the Expeditions app (also shutting down) worked great in the classroom for our Treehouse lessons.

I’m trying to recreate some of the Tour Creator functionality in Map the Paths Guidebooks – hope to see some of you creating your own interactive Guidebooks.

For inspiration, here’s one I shot in Tenerife earlier this year, hiking Mount Teide

What additional features would you like to see implemented for Guidebooks?

1 Like

For those that have used this functionality will probably be as disappointed about it as I was when I heard that Mapillary was sold to Facebook… I had spent a sh*tload of time building upon the (great!) API Mapillary has built around their platform…

This was the main reason for me to dabble around with the idea of OpenWanderer… The way to go for this is to find common ground… find the building blocks that more people can use for their own project… that way combining effort in creating something even more beautiful! And, maybe even more importantly, not a service by a commercial entity but create stability and durability because of that FOSS structure… a structure that just might rise to become a standard… (one can dream :wink: )

@Eesger just a friendly ask; can you please refrain from taking the conversation off-topic.

I am happy to debate Facebook/Mapillary concerns in other dedicated threads, as I am for you to promote your software where relevant. In this case, I don’t see it that way. Thanks!

HQ | Blog | Spotted a Trekker? | Become a Trekker | Facebook | Instagram