A number of you have asked if it’s possible to sync Google Street View data with Map the Paths.
Whilst a direct sync (like is possible for Mapillary) is not possible due to limitations imposed by Google, it is possible to download images from Google to your computer, and the reupload to Map the Paths.
This is also useful if you’ve lost or want to backup your photos/videos that exist on Street View.
To download your own images and/or video from Google Street View:
- Go to Google Takeout: https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout
- Make sure Street View is selected with a checkmark (you can export data from any Google service using takeout.
- Choose where/how you want the data to be delivered. Note, that if you’ve got a lot of content on Street View the resulting file could be very large
- You’ll then receive an email when your Street View image / photo files are ready for download and where to download them from. Depending on the size of the Street View data this process can take between hours and days.
- In the download are the files and Street View connection information in a .json doc.
The json doc contains connection information (what photos this one is connected to) for corresponding photo file of the same name. e.g.
Here’s what the json file looks like
Finally, a big thanks to @JimGayes360 who suggested this workflow!